Friday, September 22, 2006

Then of course there's Irish Technology.....




This is environmental Ireland at it's best. This is Co Offaly Power Station. Despite standing against the River Shannon this is not hydroelectric, this is peat-fueled... This eats the local boglands, which were once important habitats for Brent Geese. The cutting operation is also blamed for filling the Shannon causing flooding of the river margins... the callows... an important area for breeding birds...


This isn't an Irish invention, but I saw my first one today and thought that I'd share it. This is a 30 foot wide lawnmower, it's cutting capacity is brutal. Most of our callows have been cut by 5 foot 6 rotary cutters. This is equivalent to 6 tractors driving side by side...




The plot that this one is cutting had one calling male corncrake. It was the first corncrake in Ireland to be heard calling in 2006.. by me! We believe that the female actually used the opposite side of the river, where chicks were seen early in the summer by the farmer cutting there. We had not protected that side of the river.... It happens.

The great news is.... You can always find yourself a LUCKY RABBIT'S FOOT! (As long as you're willing to use to use Hare!)

3 Comments:

Blogger simon said...

The size of the cutter comes as no surprise to me. Of course here we have really incredible harvesters and tractors. Once I was traveling out west and one was ploughing. It was travelling as fast as my car 80kph, dragging a plough that was easily 15metres across...
I could not imagine anything surviving it. What came as a shock to me was just how much of the natural environment has been ruined in Aus. Most farms have rabbit, pig, fox and cat. Not many real native animals unless they are fast eg emu and kangaroo.

SO its a completely 'false' landscape.

As for your technology, I am packing for the trip out west and panicing that I will not have a phone, or laptop..... :o)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Davy said...

What? No technology to save you? Better take a knife and a box of matches then...

Look after Jim, I don't think he's left me anything in his will. No playing with pigs or stingrays!

Davy

1:14 AM  
Blogger simon said...

ok! :o)

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home