Sunday, August 13, 2006

Not a good week for The Water Rail Family


This week was not a good week for this Water Rail family....

The farmer had signed an agreement not to cut until the 1st of September, but decided to cut earlier. He was imformed that a corncrake had been calling from his meadow.

Despite the presence of two corncrake fieldworkers, we were unable to prevent the deaths of these young birds. The two which had their legs cut off were still alive, it was the plaintive pleeping of one bird that alerted me to their plight. It was my unfortunate job to dispatch the two of them, hence the neck cut almost in two.

The job is good on a good day, not on a bad day. The day had started with a male Hen Harrier working the meadow.... The day before was a mowing watch day and in two hours I saw Hen Harrier, Marsh Harrier and Peregrin Falcon.... A much better Day!

8 Comments:

Blogger Maalie said...

Might I suggest that this picture is made up as a large poster and put a=on billboards all over Offaly. At least you could make up a pamphlet to distribute to farmers. I trust he didn't get the subsidy, and even had to pay a fine.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Davy said...

He won't get all of his grant. He will get paid for cutting "centre-out". He was suitably "gutted", hopefully it will serve a purpose, i.e., when Birdwatch Fieldworkers tell you that there are likely to be very young birds, even eggs, that there probably are...

2:56 PM  
Blogger simon said...

I find it difficult to think that people have little concern for the environment. I get upset and angry too.

10:12 PM  
Blogger TCA said...

I;m trying to think of what consitutes a 'bad day' in my occupation. Whatever it is it seems trivial to what you are having to put up with.

Hang in there Big Dave, you're doing valuable work.

Much respect.
Worz

3:35 AM  
Blogger Davy said...

Most days are good days. Apparently I'm the first fieldworker to have to kill for 7 years.

I had to kill my first Pine Martin too... You're looking very fit in your lycra's these days worz, must be doing you some good... You seem to sleep a lot too, I recall...

7:36 AM  
Blogger TCA said...

You must be looking at the wrong photo - I NEVER wear lycra!

Sleep? The usual complaint from people who know me that well is that I get up too early!

W

12:15 AM  
Blogger Davy said...

My mistake, but you would look lovely.......

Davy

11:51 AM  
Blogger simon said...

ha ah! :o)

2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home