Tuesday, August 15, 2006

No pics today, it was raining and then it was dark...

Hiya all,

No pictures today, you might be pleased to hear. Had a rainy wet day, driving around seeing who’d cut this week, and the answer was very few, and no-one on any of the active corncrake sites that I monitor.

In defence of the farmers, after my negative feelings last week, most of the none-active meadows have been completely cut, and are getting a grazing on the new growth. Most of my corncrake active callows (winter-flooded meadows), have not had a blade of grass cut yet. A couple of them have been turned into corncrake fortresses. They’ve held strong, even in the face of high hay prices due to a summer drought. The ones that sell hay could be making a profit. Those having to buy are losing money, by not cutting their own. Enough said. Respect to “Drumlosh”, “Curraghnaboll”, “Mather’s” and Clonmacnoise” in that order.

I managed to get out tonight recording on a bat survey. I was asked for my torch, but decided to take it myself. We were recording Daubenton’s Bats at Shannon Harbour. We walked 10 100m stretches recording for 5 minutes at each marker, and recorded 5 passes of bat at 35 Hz (calling frequency of this bat). We also saw 2 shooting stars, one dubious, which I was just reporting, when the second came down like a magnesium emergency flare. Brightest thing in the sky. Wow!

I’ve been toying around with another couple of blogspots. See the two links, My Space, and My Bebo, just to see what I could do with music and pictures and things. I’ve been teaching myself how to mess with HTML and stuff. I’ve downloaded some music programs for converting and uploading MP3 music files, linked to videos and all kinds of things. Just getting to grips with it all. I’ve had a few comments, and made a few online contacts. It’s been nice. Thank god for the distractions, I could end up an internet junkie. It’s bad enough that I’ve also learnt the maps on Novalogic, Delta Force Extreme. Got another promotion another medal… Sad, eh? American rank of 1st Sergeant (2nd Tour), with 6 medals or more now………… 2 Campaign Service Medals, Marksman Medal with 2 Bars, Hill Giant Award and Vehicle Commander Award…… (It’s not serious, OK?......For those that don’t know a 1st Sergeant doesn’t come 1st , he comes last after Master Sergeant…. Damn Yanks. Change everything, even the Irish weather.

So that’s been my weekend, really. What have you all been up to?

Davy

4 Comments:

Blogger Maalie said...

Weekend? It's Wednesday. Yes, I know it all seems like one long weekend when you're happy. Glad the farmers are earning their subsidies.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Davy said...

Life is one long weekend... I've applied for a proper job. They're opening the first Irish Biological Record Centre in Waterford, (next county to Cork), I don't imagine they'll be any irish applicants with previous experience.... I'll be dissapointed if I don't get an interview. lol.

Davy

11:49 AM  
Blogger simon said...

well, I know how you feel. I started blogging and sat looking at the screen for hours.... its no wonder kids are getting fat!! Its quite addictive.

Can you tell me more about the bats? I really like bats!!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Davy said...

I don't know a lot about bats, but these fellas are fat enough to tell apart from pipistreles and they emit at a completely different frequency to other bats, which helps. 35MHz is a bandwidth unique to them, the rest kinda overlap, and then you have to do it more work to separate them in overlapping territory. I'd like to know a bit more about them, which is one of the reasons that I got involved....

Davy

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home